What this policy covers
Your privacy is important to us, and so is being transparent about how we collect, use, and share information about you. This policy is intended to help you understand:
What information we collect about you
We collect information about you when you provide it to us as further described below.
Information you provide to us
We collect information about you when you provide it directly to us.
- Account and Profile Information: We collect information about you when you register for an account, create or modify your profile or set preferences through the website. We keep track of your preferences when you select settings within the website.
Information we collect automatically when you use the website
We collect information about you when you use our website, including browsing our website and taking certain actions within the website.
- Your use of the website: We keep track of certain information about you when you visit and interact with our website. This information includes the features you use; frequently used search terms; and how you interact with the website.
- Device and Connection Information: We collect information about your computer, phone, tablet, or other devices you use to access the website. We also collect information through your device about your operating system, browser type, IP address, and URLs of referring/exit pages.
How we use information we collect
How we use the information we collect depends in part on which website you use, how you use them, and any preferences you have communicated to us. Below are the specific purposes for which we use the information we collect about you.
- To provide the website and personalize your experience: We use information about you to provide the website to you, including to authenticate you when you log in, provide customer support, and operate and maintain the website. Our website also includes tailored features that personalize your experience and improve your search results.
- For research and development: We are always looking for ways to make our website smarter, faster, secure, integrated and useful to you. We use collective learnings about how people use our website and feedback provided directly to us to troubleshoot and to identify trends, usage, activity patterns and areas for integration and improvement of the website. We also test and analyze certain new features with some users before rolling the feature out to all users.
- To communicate with you about the website: We use your contact information to send upcoming study communications via email and within the website, responding to your comments, questions and requests, providing customer support, and sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and administrative messages. If an opt out is available, you will find that option within the communication itself.
- Customer support: We use your information to resolve technical issues you encounter, to respond to your requests for assistance, to analyze crash information, and to repair and improve the website.
- For safety and security: We use information about you to verify accounts and activity, to monitor suspicious or fraudulent activity and to identify violations of our policies.
- With your consent: We use information about you where you have given us consent to do so for a specific purpose not listed above. For example, we may publish testimonials or featured customer stories to promote the website, with your permission.
- Legal bases for processing (for EEA users): If you are an individual in the European Economic Area (EEA), we collect and process information about you only where we have legal bases for doing so under applicable EU laws. The legal bases depend on the website you use and how you use them. This means we collect and use your information only where:
- We need it to provide you the website, including to operate the website, provide customer support and personalized features and to protect the safety and security of the website;
- It satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your data protection interests), such as for research and development, to market and promote the website and to protect our legal rights and interests;
- You give us consent to do so for a specific purpose; or
- We need to process your data to comply with a legal obligation.
If you have consented to our use of information about you for a specific purpose, you have the right to change your mind at any time, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place. You have the right to object to that use though, in some cases, this may mean no longer using the website.
How we share information we collect
We connect you with study sites running clinical trials however we do not host or run any trials ourselves. This means sharing information through the website and with certain third parties. We share information we collect about you in the ways discussed below, including in connection with possible business transfers, but we are not in the business of selling information about you to advertisers or other third parties.
Sharing with other website users
We do not share your information with any other users on our website.
Sharing with third parties
We share information with third parties that run and operate clinical trials. These are the only third parties that we share your information with and we only do so when you explicitly request your information to be sent to them.
How we store and secure information we collect
Information storage and security
We use data hosting service providers in the United States to host the information we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data. While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others. We will respond to requests about this within a reasonable timeframe.
How long we keep information
How long we keep information we collect about you depends on the type of information, as described in further detail below. After such time, we will either delete or anonymize your information or, if this is not possible (for example, because the information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your information and isolate it from any further use until deletion is possible.
- Account information: We retain your account information until you delete your account. We also retain some of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations and to continue to develop and improve our website. Where we retain information for website improvement and development, we take steps to eliminate information that directly identifies you, and we only use the information to uncover collective insights about the use of our website, not to specifically analyze personal characteristics about you.
- Information you share on the website: If your account is deactivated or disabled, some of your information and the content you have provided will remain in order to allow third parties that you have granted explicit permission to continue to view your information. For example, we continue to display your contact information to said third parties.
- Marketing information: If you have elected to receive marketing emails from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences unless you specifically ask us to delete such information. We retain information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies for a reasonable period of time from the date such information was created.
How to access and control your information
You have certain choices available to you when it comes to your information. Below is a summary of those choices, how to exercise them and any limitations. We will respond to requests about this within a reasonable timeframe.
You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information (including for marketing purposes), to request the deletion or restriction of your information, or to request your information in a structured, electronic format. Below, we describe the tools and processes for making these requests.
Your request and choices may be limited in certain cases: for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal information about another person, or if you ask to delete information which we or your administrator are permitted by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep. Where you have asked us to share data with third parties you will need to contact those third-party service providers directly to have your information deleted or otherwise restricted. If you have unresolved concerns, you may have the right to complain to a data protection authority in the country where you live or where you feel your rights were infringed.
- Access and update your information: Our website and related documentation give you the ability to access and update certain information about you from within the website. For example, you can access your profile information from your account and search for trials using keyword searches in the website. You can update your profile information within your profile settings and modify content that contains information about you using the editing tools associated with that content.
- Delete your information: Our website and related documentation give you the ability to delete certain information about you from within the website. Please note, however, that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes, to complete transactions or to comply with our legal obligations.
- Request that we stop using your information: In some cases, you may ask us to stop accessing, storing, using and otherwise processing your information where you believe we don't have the appropriate rights to do so. For example, if you believe a website account was created for you without your permission or you are no longer an active user, you can request that we delete your account as provided in this policy. Where you gave us consent to use your information for a limited purpose, you can contact us to withdraw that consent, but this will not affect any processing that has already taken place at the time. You can also opt-out of our use of your information for marketing purposes by contacting us, as provided below. When you make such requests, we may need time to investigate and facilitate your request. If there is a delay or dispute as to whether we have the right to continue using your information, we will restrict any further use of your information until the request is honored or the dispute is resolved.
- Opt out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by using the unsubscribe link within each email or by contacting us as provided below to have your contact information removed from our promotional email list or registration database. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our website.
- Turn off Cookie Controls: Relevant browser-based cookie controls are described in our Cookies & Tracking Notice.1
- Send "Do Not Track" Signals: Some browsers have incorporated "Do Not Track" (DNT) features that can send a signal to the website you visit indicating you do not wish to be tracked. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal, our website does not currently respond to browser DNT signals. You can use the range of other tools we provide to control data collection and use, including the ability to opt out of receiving marketing from us as described above.
- Data portability: Data portability is the ability to obtain some of your information in a format you can move from one service provider to another (for instance, when you transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier). Depending on the context, this applies to some of your information, but not to all of your information. Should you request it, we will provide you with an electronic file of your basic account information.
How we transfer information we collect internationally
International transfers of information we collect
We collect information globally and primarily store that information in the United States. We transfer, process and store your information outside of your country of residence, to wherever we, ClinicalConnection or our third-party service providers operate for the purpose of providing you the website. Whenever we transfer your information, we take steps to protect it.
Other important privacy information
Our policy towards children
The website is not directed to individuals under 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 18. If we become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we will take steps to delete such information. If you become aware that a child has provided us with personal information, please contact us.
Your information is controlled by ClinicalConnection, Inc. If you have questions or concerns about how your information is handled, please direct your inquiry2 to ClinicalConnection Inc., as set forth below or.